top of page
  • Kevin Lidlow

New York Jets Cap Issues: Can Big Macc Work with Small Stacks?

If you follow the Jets, then you know that they are going through a serious salary-cap crunch. One that goes way to deep in the column that marks "cap room". Their cap space is so out of control that it is screaming out "Help!". They might provide that kind of help with a blockbuster type move.

As you may have guessed, the New York Jets are only about $2 million under the cap. In other words, they are at the corner of the street, strumming their guitar hoping they will get some change, and there's no shame in that. In the past 13 months, they've spent a lot of money trying to improve the roster that will help finally make a playoff push. That’s what we wanted right? That’s why Jets fans want the fiscally conservative John Idzik out of the general manager's seat.

We got our wish and now have an aggressive GM in Mike Maccagnan. I’m not saying that getting Maccagnan was a bad thing, I think he did a great job as our general manager. However, I do believe that he spent way too much on the players that we signed. So the real problem is how the Jets money is distributed. We have a top-heavy salary structure, and it's not healthy.

As of right now, the three highest-paid players are: Darrelle Revis, Muhammad Wilkerson, and D'Brickashaw Ferguson. They are eating up $46.8 million, roughly 30 percent of the entire cap, while the other 48 players are against the cap occupying the remaining 70 percent. In simple terms, there's Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, and Mark Zuckerberg... and everybody else. With this salary cap hit, the jets can't resign Ryan Fitzpatrick or his replacement and their draft picks under the current cap situation. Which means that a big salary dump is on the way and it maybe sooner than we think. Revis isn't going anywhere because his salary is guaranteed, so it will have to be either Wilkerson or Ferguson.

The Jets need to figure out their cap situation, so that we can sign the quarterback that we want to run our offense and sign our future draft picks. I believe that Mike Maccagnan will find some way to get the cap situation back under control and still sign players that will help our roster.

3 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page